Sunday, March 21, 2021

721 Spectrophotometer tear down

There will be more projects relating the to 721 Spectrophotometer but I thought I would start this little series with a basic tear down of the machine.

So the machine came in a very nice box, very well packaged and for the price I paid, it's higher quality than I originally expected.

The tear down started by unscrewing the sample holder rod then removing the wavelength knob and the 2 bolts on both sides. From here the white plastic top simply lifts off.
Overall simple design most of the left area is taken up by the lamp and the defraction gradient which unfortunately couldn't be accesed without me possibly damaging other parts. From here you can spin the wheel on the left side to modify the wavelength being used. On the right side you mostly have the sample chamber which is built to hold 4 separate samples and the detector.

I'm thinking of modifying the sample holder or at the very least 3d printing some adapters for some light fun.
Two separate circuit boards were inside the case, one to power the lamp and the other to control the screen.
The circuit that controls the screen really got my attention , I would like to see if I could do something with this "ISP" connection. Haven't identified any of the chips yet but getting a data port in here would be nice.


So there will be more projects on modifying the spectrophotometer later on but I hope you enjoyed the basic tear down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Adding a data port to a Spectrophotometer 721

So as you all know I have recently purchased a cheap spectrophotometer , I thought it could be useful in the lab for some biology projects I...